Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Those With A Voice Must Stand And Raise It



I’ve been thinking about the topic of suicide and mental illness in general for the last couple of weeks since my heart was broken by an article I read about a cute young girl who committed suicide and left a final message on you tube. I know this is a very, very sensitive subject, and honestly I don’t want to get into the details of suicide so much but rather reflect on the battle that many are losing to very serious illnesses.

I heard a quote once that I loved. I tried to Google and find out who said it to no avail. It said something like this, “Suicide is what it says on the death certificate of someone who died from depression.” 
How many times in our lives do we notch it up to something else, weakness of mind or character, or a great sin to be damned to hell. I can only speak for my own experience. I’ve been to the depths of depressive Hell and I’ve looked the devil in the face. I’ve felt darkness engulf me and blind me from reality. It was my reality. To someone in that state you can’t just say snap out of it, change the paradigm, see what you have going for you in life. Sometimes that just makes you feel even worse because you know you should want to be happy but you can’t muster an scintilla of strength. I’ve been there. I’ve spent days and months and the better part of some years of my life near and in that place. Those days were just as real as the days I live today. I will not try to rationalize away the pain of that darkness nor take away from the truth of despair that can be overwhelming in the mind of a sufferer of such. It is deep, dark pain and to hell with the person who thinks otherwise and or tries to tell someone that it isn’t real. I’d like to see how that person reacts when they are thrown in a cold, ice covered lake with no hole for air, gasping for relief and the gaping jaws of death open after them. That is what it feels like. It is a terrible place to be and hard place to keep one’s mind and wit about them. Please, don’t stop reading now. I fear you might not see the point, and hope that there is and the truth I must declare. 

You see, as dark and horrible as this illness is there is a media attention and spotlight on it that is very concerning to me. A war is being waged for the minds of the world on mental illness. I believe there is a large majority that is ever being reduced that is largely ignorant to the difficulties of mental illness. I can say this confidently because I was a part of that group until I started to have my own problems. These are the people that think just counting your blessings, changing your paradigm or “picking yourself up by the bootstraps” is an adequate remedy to the mentally ill. I cannot fault the majority of these people, because they haven’t been personally exposed to instances to give them understanding otherwise. Though these are all helpful solutions to dealing with the majority of life’s difficulties they do not take into consideration any neurological issues that, I’ve personally found, cannot be solved by any of the above. 

These people, along with everyone else, are being brought to the attention of mental illness. It is widely spoken of and publicized in all areas of our life. Companies, schools and religions are all coming to understand this illness is real and a growing epidemic in our world. Much of this is to be applauded, I suppose if I was born a generation before I wouldn’t have the confidence to raise my voice in bringing awareness and so we are making strides in the right direction. 

The problem is that among the rise in awareness and shock at suicide rates and psychiatric medication distribution rates and all of the other aspects of mental illness, there is this increased sympathy and publication without very much advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill. I hear about how sad it is that someone committed suicide. I hear that someone with an illness has gone and done something terrible and I hear concern over the need for increased screening of the mentally ill to obtain guns or other things. You know what I don’t hear? I don’t hear the mentally ill, or those who advocate on their behalf standing up and shouting that we are people all around you who can function and add to society. We are people working to support ourselves and our families. We are students pursuing a future. We are people fighting a battle and winning it. 

The girl I was reading about had a quote on her Facebook or somewhere that I wanted to share that reaffirms the attitude society is reinforcing because those who suffer and endure are not speaking out:

Doug Stanhope: "Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and its sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end and make it all worthwhile. None should blame you for walking out early."

I call BS on this. (I’d let out some expletives but most of the people reading this wouldn’t appreciate it.) When I read this it pissed me off so much I can’t even communicate the frustration that filled my heart. This is complete garbage. Life is nothing like a movie. There is no predestined script for our life written out by some script writer or vengeful God. There is a God and He gave each of us agency- the ability to choose. All of us have an opportunity to make choices every single day of our life. We can’t control much of what happens to us or even sometimes how we feel, but we always have a choice to what we do with it. That is the truth. If our life sucks every day we live, we can decide to change what we do to reinforce those feelings or not to reinforce those feelings. Remember I’ve been to Hell and back, so I’m not getting on a pedestal and saying it’s easy. What I’m saying is this, the path out of Hell is one step at a time. The path out of depression is taken one step at a time. I don’t fault anyone who forgets that and takes their life. What I hate to see though, is for someone to think there isn’t hope when there is. They don’t see it because our society makes people with mental illness out to be gun wielding lunatics. How do you think that is processed by a mentally ill individual who sees a similar diagnoses as a killer in themselves, even if they don’t have homicidal tendencies? The media makes the mentally ill out to be incompetent and incapable. That is their prerogative. However, if those who have mental illness don’t stand up on the roof tops and show what they are capable of and the kind loving people they are despite having these grave difficulties then everyone loses. Everyone.

I have dark days still. I have times where I lose the plot and want to throw in the towel. I need support just like anyone else. Do you know who gives me the most strength in life in a way even my loving wife can’t? It’s the person whose arm is full of scars just like mine and who says there is hope. We’re both holding on to the same rope and we’re climbing our way up it. 

The truth is most people with mental illness learn to cope with it. The first 3-5 years are horrible but it gets better. You learn your limitations, you learn that you can’t compare your life to your friends or families. You’ll be a downer at times and people won’t enjoy it and there’s nothing you can do about it, except accept it. It is an illness but it isn’t a character flaw. So what if you can’t have a family or kids or the life you dreamed of. It’ll suck until you learn to realize that and make the most of what you have. There is still so much to live for other than lost dreams and life expectations. If a dream is lost, start forming a new, more realistic one.

I guess in all this is the point that I wish I could have sat with that young girl face to face. I wish I could have put my arm around her and just hugged her. I wish I could have said that thing or two about being in the darkness that would make her know I knew exactly where she was. Most of all, I wish I could sit there and tell her of how I came from that same place to a place of so much peace, joy and happiness that I never imagined was possible. 

I’ve written a script with the help of God and loved ones. I’ve chosen to see that the ending of my story has not been written and what started as a bad movie can end a story of triumph. I will write another ending. I will write one that doesn’t talk about happily ever away from difficulty, but happiness far greater. I will write of finding joy and happiness while the tempest rages around and in me. There is such a joy and it is worth holding on for. There are darker days before the light comes but it will come and it can encompass the mentally ill so fully that we can hold on to the true perspective even in troubling times. 

My name is Aaron, I have Bipolar I Disorder and I choose to live every day, along with many others, as a witness that death is not the answer and life is worth living. We will beat these illnesses hand and hand. Please, come write a better ending with me.

No comments: